As part of your tenancy agreement with us, you can access some free pest control via Contego Environmental Services.
You're covered for the treatment of the following pests and vermin:
To report these, please call our Contact Centre on 0161 393 7117 as soon as possible to report the issue.
You can also report the following but you may need to pay for this service:
- Wasps (when within or attached to First Choice Homes Oldham properties)
- Squirrels (if there are concerns about the fabric of a property)
- Fleas (during the first 3 months of a new tenancy)
- Biscuit beetles
You are responsible for the treatment of the following pests:
- Psocids (commonly known as booklice, barklice or barkflies)
Useful advice for helping to prevent pests in your home
- When taking your rubbish to your bin – ensure it’s closed correctly and there are no gaps
- Do not leave rubbish on the ground as this could attract pests
- Bird feeders may attract pests, and while these are nice, they could increase the chances of pests in your garden and home. If you do see a pest please remove the food from any bird feeder
- Keep all outside areas and gardens clean, tidy and free from rubbish – this reduces nesting sites and helps to reduce pests in your garden. If you’re struggling with the upkeep of your home please contact us on 0161 393 7117
- Wash dishes, utensils and clean up food that is spilled inside or outside your home as soon as possible. The longer it is left the more likely a pest is going to be attracted to it
- Keep any outside cooking areas such as BBQs or grills clean and correctly closed
- It is important to throw away any left over food that is past its use-by date correctly and securely, which may mean you need to empty small bins on a regular basis
- Keeping the inside of your home clean and tidy is important. Clean down surfaces, cupboard fronts and waste bins with antibacterial sprays
- If you have pets please put any uneaten food away in a storage container to avoid pests being attracted to it
What to do if you find a pest in your home
- Contact us on 0161 393 7117 and a member of our staff will record the details and order the relevant service for you
- Ensure you follow the above advice to help prevent the issue becoming worse
- Ensure you are at home for the appointment that is made. If you aren’t going to be in, call 0161 393 7117 as soon as possible to re-arrange
- Allow the pest control officer access to all areas of your home. This is to ensure the problem is tackled on the first visit, wherever possible
For further information and advice please visit the Contego Environmental Services website.
To report or discuss any pest control issue
Please call our Contact Centre on 0161 393 7117.