How to complain

We are committed to continually improve the services we provide to customers. We therefore welcome any views or feedback on service delivery, whether good or bad, and any enquiries of requests for a service.

These are valuable sources of feedback, which helps us to improve and provide better services.


An expression of dissatisfaction where there is material distress, material inconvenience and/or financial loss because of the action or lack of action and/or standard of service(s) provided by First Choice Homes Oldham.

How can I make a complaint?

We’re sorry that you’re not happy with our service. By making a complaint, you’re giving us the opportunity to investigate and improve our services for you and everybody else.

You can drop us a quick note through our online form and we’ll call you back to discuss. If you’d prefer, you can call, write to us instead or come and see us face to face.

  • Online – by filling in a complaint form
  • By phone – 0161 393 7117 - our lines are open from 9am to 5pm, 5 days a week
  • By post – Make it Better, First Place, 22 Union Street, Oldham OL1 1BE
  • Our office – First Place, 22 Union Street, Oldham OL1 1BE

What information do I need to provide

If you call, write or visit us you will need to provide the following details in your complaint:

  • A description of your concern
  • What you would like us to do to put things right
  • Your name and address
  • A phone number and the best time to contact you
  • Any relevant reference numbers

What will happen next?

Once you have made a complaint, we will aim to contact you on the current or next working day by phone. We will confirm that we are looking into your complaint, and we will let you know when you can expect a response.

We will also give you a unique reference number so we can quickly find your record.


We will keep you updated on the progress of your complaint by phone or email if you have provided this.

Our response

We will always contact you to discuss our final response, providing an explanation of what we have found, what we plan to do as a result and why we made the decision. This may be over the phone, by email or by letter.

We aim to deal with complaints as quickly as possible; this will usually be 5 days. We’ll keep you updated on our progress.

How do I get an update?

We’ll give you regular updates, but if you feel there’s extra information that will help us resolve your complaint, you can contact us by phone.

Please keep your unique reference number handy, as it will help us find your information quickly.

Please call or email us with your update, remember to include your reference number if emailing in order for us to update your complaint.


Phone: 0161 393 7117 - lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.


If you incur any financial loss as a result of our service failure an offer of compensation may be made to make amends for any such loss.

We may require evidence of losses to support any decision but we do acknowledge that in some cases this may not be possible or appropriate. In this case we may offer discretionary compensation for any distress or inconvenience you have suffered.

Any compensation payments will be applied to your rent account if you are in arrears or have other debts owing to us.

What if I’m still not happy?

We’re sorry if you’re not happy with the decision we've taken. If you wish to take your complaint further, you can ask the Housing Ombudsman to look into it for you.

The Housing Ombudsman is a free, independent service for resolving disputes between customers and Housing Providers.

Housing Ombudsman Service, 81 Aldwych, London, WC2B 4HN

Phone: 0300 111 3000



Complaints Policy

You can view our full Complaints Policy here

Customer Experience Report

Our self-assessment against the housing ombudsman’s complaint handling code

We have carried out a self-assessment against the Housing Ombudsman’s Complaint Handling Code. The assessment sets out the areas where we comply with the code and the actions we will be taking to improve how we handle customer feedback. You can read the report below.