What to expect when you move in
We are committed to supporting our customers by providing homes of a high standard.
These are the standards that you can expect when you move into your new home.
Monitoring the standard
The standards set out have been approved by customers. If you would like to get involved with how we set our lettable standards, or any other area of service provided, please contact our Stronger Communities team on 0161 393 7117 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health and safety checks
- The property will be free from obvious signs of damp, mould and infestation
- An electrical safety check will be completed to ensure the installation is safe and compliant
- An energy performance certificate will be issued at sign up
- Properties with their own gas supply are capped when unoccupied
- All properties will have had an asbestos survey and meet the required safety standard
- All properties will have a hard-wired smoke detector installed
- A CO2 alarm will be installed in any room that has a gas appliance
- All internal windows and sills will be cleaned and wiped down
- Walls and ceilings will be free of dirt and cobwebs
- All woodwork will be wiped down
- Washable floor coverings will be cleaned
- Any unfinished concrete and wooden floors and boards will be swept and left in a suitable condition to receive carpets or coverings.
- Any radiators or fire surrounds will be wiped down
- Kitchen units, shelves and drawers will be cleaned and free from dirt/grease
- All tiled surfaces (including grout) will be free from mould
- All bathroom fittings will be cleaned and sanitised
Doors and windows
- All locks to external doors will be replaced and a minimum of two keys supplied
- We will supply you with at least one fob for any communal doors
- External doors and windows will be watertight and open and close with ease. We will supply you with one window key per room
- All internal doors will have working handles and open and close with ease
Floors and stairs
- Floors will be free from structural defects, holes and trip hazards
- Stairs and handrails will be safe and secure
Walls and ceilings
- The living room and bedrooms will have curtain battens fitted above the windows
- Any significant areas of plaster will usually receive a minimum of a base coat to help you decorate new plaster
- You will need to address any small cracks and minor filling when redecorating
- The number of units provided will be determined by the space available. Where possible, there will be a minimum of a sink base plus the equivalent of two double units
- A space will be provided for a fridge/freezer. If this is not possible, we will provide a space so it can be accommodated in an adjacent room or store cupboard
- Where space is available there will be provision for a washing machine, and we will provide a water supply and drainage for this. You will need to make your own arrangements to have your washing machine connected
- A cooker space will be provided with either a gas and/or electric connection. You will need to have your cooker connected by a competent qualified engineer
- If space is limited, you may need to provide your own slimline appliances to fit within the kitchen. If this is the case it will be discussed with you before you move in. Sizes should always be checked when viewing
- At least one row of splash back tiles or upstand will be fitted above all work tops
All bathrooms will have a toilet, a bath and/or shower and a wash hand basin.
- A new toilet seat will be fitted when you move in. After you move in it is your responsibility to repair/replace
- A new shower curtain or screen will be provided where there is a shower installed
- Baths and basins will be sealed and free from mould
- If an extractor fan has been fitted it will be serviced/cleaned and functioning. If a fan isn’t already provided, one will be installed either when your bathroom is renewed, or your property is rewired
- All plugs and chains will be in place
- At least one row of tiles will be fixed above basins and baths
- Any over bath showers installed will have panelling or tiling on at least two walls around the bath
If a property has previously been adapted (such as a level access shower) we will retain this fixture unless otherwise agreed following an assessment by an Occupational Therapist.
We want you to be able to make your home your own.
On occasion we will undertake a refurbishment of the decorations to improve the overall standard of the property. This will be done using neutral colours, usually white or magnolia.
Any large areas of bare plaster will receive a base coat to make decoration easier for you.
We may also contribute towards the cost of redecoration by providing vouchers, depending upon the condition of the existing decoration. We will discuss this with you when you view the property.
External works and gardens
- All paths for access purposes around the property and leading to the front door, rear and side gates will be free from trip hazards
- Gardens will be free from hazards and rubbish
- Gutters and downpipes will be repaired or replaced where necessary
- Gardens will be strimmed and any health and safety issues addressed (e.g. uneven paving)
- Any DIY decking areas or sheds that are in poor condition will be removed and these may leave soil or hardcore in place. It is your responsibility to make good these areas by using turf or grass seed where appropriate
Fixtures and fittings
There may be occasions when the previous customer has made improvements to the property (e.g. fitted wardrobes, replacement kitchen etc.). These items will have been assessed as being safe and the retention of these items will be discussed with you as part of the viewing process. You will be responsible for repairing and maintaining them throughout your tenancy, and may be responsible for removing them from the property if you move out of your home.
Heating and power
- The property will have a working radiator or heater in each room
- An engineer will have inspected the heating systems
It is a legal requirement and part of your tenancy agreement that your gas appliances are serviced annually. We will contact you with plenty of notice to arrange for this service to take place.
After you move in
We want you to enjoy your new home. More advice and information about your tenancy and the additional services we offer can be found on this website or by speaking to your Neighbourhood Co-ordinator.
Some issues may only become apparent when you move into your new home. If you have any issues with your new home, please log them online with My Account. Alternatively, you can ring our Contact Centre on 0161 393 7117 or email email@example.com.
If you need access to furniture or are having financial difficulties, please discuss this with your Neighbourhood Co-ordinator who will signpost you to the relevant service.
Approval must be sought before carrying out any alterations to your property. A Customer Alterations form will need to be submitted and approval received in writing before any works can commence. Any alteration must be compliant with building and fire regulations and carried out to an appropriate standard of quality. All works must be inspected by us upon completion.