What is Universal Credit?
What Universal Credit is
Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people out of work or on a low income, and aged over 18 but under state pension age.
Universal Credit replaces six existing benefits:
- Housing Benefit (HB)
- Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
- Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income Support (IS)
- Child Tax Credit (CTC)
- Working Tax Credit (WTC)
How Universal Credit will affect you
- You’ll get one monthly payment for your whole household
- You need a bank account as your money will be paid directly into it
- You have to apply online and need a valid email address
- Your rent support will be included in the single monthly payment
- You'll be responsible for paying your rent directly to us
Claiming Universal Credit
A claim for Universal Credit will stop any payments for the benefits it replaces. It can take a few weeks to get your first Universal Credit payment.
You still need to pay your rent during this time. Call us on 0161 393 7117 for help and advice to ensure you are prepared for the change.
Be prepared for Universal Credit
It’s important that you are prepared for Universal Credit, so you don’t get into debt. We're here to help you make the switch and to answer any questions you might have.
Be prepared in 3 easy steps:
- Get ahead with your rent
Putting an extra few pounds into your rent account each week before you switch to Universal Credit will mean you can still pay your rent when you switch and are waiting for your first payment to be processed. This will avoid you getting into rent arrears and debt.
- We can help you get a bank account and get online
You have to apply for Universal Credit online and the money gets paid into your own bank account. Call us on 0161 393 7117 for help getting online or setting up a bank account.
- Ring us if you need help
Our staff are here to offer help and advice. Ring our us on 0161 393 7117 for help.
Get in touch if you are struggling with your benefits or money
If you are finding it difficult to pay your bills, call us straight away us on 0161 393 7117