Settling into your new home
Helping you settle into your new home
Now you've moved into your new new home there are a number of things you need to do to make things as stress-free as possible.
When moving in
- Report any outstanding repairs within the first two weeks of moving in through My Account or by calling our Contact Centre on 0161 393 7117.
- Make a note of the location of the water ‘stop tap’ in case you ever need this in an emergency.
- Check your bin collection day and ensure you recycle your rubbish.
- Make sure you are claiming all your benefits, or phone our Community Impact Team for help
- Register with United Utilities and set up your water billing
- Always shop around for the best energy deal for you – see our Energy Advice page
Remember to shop around for the cheapest phone and broadband providers.
Getting your heating switched on
Arrange for your boiler to be re-commissioned
Once you have your supply in place and you have credit on any prepayment meters, contact our heating engineers to have your heating turned back on:
- If you have your own individual boiler in your property, contact us on 0161 393 7117
- If you have a shared heating system, contact Switch 2 on 08444 994980
Once you have registered with the existing supplier, you are free to change your electricity and gas supplies to any supplier of your choice.
We want to help you get the best energy deal by making switching your supplier easy and hassle free.
We have partnered with free and secure switching service Energy Angels to make comparing and switching your energy supplier as simple as possible. Simply click on the link, enter a few details and see how much you could save! Or call Energy Angels direct on 0161 870 0452.
Keep yourself safe from fraud by ensuring you have re-directed all of your post, informing banks and other agencies about your move.
If you receive any post for previous occupants, do not open it, just write return to sender and put it back into the post.
Don’t forget to register with the local doctors, dentists and vets if you have pets.
Council tax and voting
Register on the electoral register. This can also have a positive impact on your credit rating.
Contact Oldham Council to check your Council Tax banding and any support you may be entitled to.
Making changes to your home
You will have received a decorating voucher when you sign up with us (unless you’re in one of our new builds or have transferred from another home).
Please don’t put up any fixtures such as satellite dishes, television or radio aerials without speaking to us first.
Please don’t make any unauthorised alterations to your property. Speak to us about any changes you may like to make – however small, we can help.