Settling into your new home
Helping you settle into your new home
Now you've moved into your new new home there are a number of things you need to do to make things as stress-free as possible.
When moving in
- Report any outstanding repairs within the first two weeks of moving in through MyAccount or by calling our Contact Centre on 0161 393 7117.
- Make a note of the location of the water ‘stop tap’ in case you ever need this in an emergency.
- Check your bin collection day and ensure you recycle your rubbish.
- Make sure you are claiming all your benefits, or phone our Community Impact Team for help
- Register with United Utilities and set up your water billing
- Always shop around for the best energy deal for you – see our Energy Advice page
Remember to shop around for the cheapest phone and broadband providers.
Keep yourself safe from fraud by ensuring you have re-directed all of your post, informing banks and other agencies about your move.
If you receive any post for previous occupants, do not open it, just write return to sender and put it back into the post.
Don’t forget to register with the local doctors, dentists and vets if you have pets.
Council tax and voting
Register on the electoral register. This can also have a positive impact on your credit rating.
Contact Oldham Council to check your Council Tax banding and any support you may be entitled to.