What is Universal Credit?

The current benefit system is changing. For people out of work or on a low income and aged over 18 but under state pension age Universal Credit is now replacing six existing benefits:

  • Housing Benefit (HB)
  • Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC)

What’s different about Universal Credit?

  • You’ll get one monthly payment for your whole household
  • You need a bank account as your money will be paid directly into it
  • You have to apply online and need a valid email address
  • Your rent support will be included in the single monthly payment
  • You must pay your rent directly to us

How long will I wait for my first payment?

A claim for Universal Credit will stop any payments for the benefits it replaces. It can take a few weeks to get your first Universal Credit payment. You still need to pay your rent during this time. Call us today 0800 1955 440 for help and advice to ensure you are prepared for the change.